Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Comparison Poems


Today at JFK I introduced poetic comparisons by reading several similes and metaphors by other children I've taught. After each one, I asked how it could be true. How is an egg like an alien's face? How is glitter like a dress with yellow stars and red hearts? After they seemed to understand how two unlike things could be similar, I held up a maraca and asked them to compare it to something outside of school. They said it was like a tree, a lollipop, a skinny guy with a big head. Then I told them to write a poem with a comparison in each line. Here are some examples:

The grass is green as a frog.
The ground is brown as a turkey.
The telephone is black as black hair.
The sun is yellow as a pencil.

-Daisyah

The turkey is as big as an elephant.
The pumpkin is as round as my head.

-Tristan

The grass is green
like a lily pad.
The vegetables are
tasty as candy.
The tiara is shiny
as a king's throne.
The moon is a shiny
silver ribbon.

-Rainbow