Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Borrowed Lines


An easy, mellow class. I gave each student a list of lines from other poems and read a few examples. "Three thousand years ago" was a big hit, as well as "i was born with twelve fingers" and "We live in the night ocean wondering." I asked each of them to choose their favorite and use it as a first line for their own poem. Here is a sample:

3,000 years ago I was
the earth. Every time somebody
stepped on me I ached. In 3,000 years
I was a human. I had to get
a massage because my body ached.
And I'm still a human, and
I want to stay a human.

-Elijah

Sundays too my father got up early
because my dad works in recycling
and he never sleeps. It's hard to
not sleep.

-Samira

Years ago I lost a penny, a special penny. My dad's dad gave him it, he gave it to me, and I lost it when I was walking to school. That was a sad day.
-Paulina

Cloth from the moon. Cloth from
another planet. Cloth made out of super-
hero clothing.

-Fartun

1 comment:

?????? said...

I liked the way all of these poems
made me think of different
possibilities and realities, and
opened up the variety of life to me.
They make me want to open up my
poetry and my thoughts to let in
the truth.. and the possibilities.
Thank you.