Friday, April 25, 2008

Ekphrastic Poems


Sorry for my long absence! I've taught four classes since my last post, but I've really lagged behind in posting to this blog. I'll do a whirlwind update today, then get back into the regular rhythm of one post per week.

For this lesson, I brought in several full-color art books from the library and had each student choose a painting or other artwork they'd like to write about. They were encouraged to write from inside the picture and use all their senses to explore what was happening. Here are some results:

I am green and red
with flowers. Please
wear me because
I am pretty. We'll go
to a dance party
and we will sway
like the ocean
to guitars and drums
under the stars.
-Abshiro, after "Self Portrait" by Carmen Lomas Garza

She is a famous person and
she is outside. Oil painting.
Her eyes follow you
everywhere. She looks happy.
People were sad when she died.

The background of the village looks
like war. The color is gold-black.
Tornado coming from far away.
People being poor.
-Safia, after "Mona Lisa" by Leonardo da Vinci

If I was resting in this flower it would be like resting on a cloud with the sun shining on my face and smells like perfume and pink cherry. The stamen looks like a green banana peel. The inside of the flower is like a dark cave with sounds like paper. I have never seen a flower like this one before.
-Khadijo, after "Two Calla Lilies on Pink" by Georgia O'Keefe

He looks like a worm. He looks like a rainbow. He's pretty and nice. He looks curly. He's the longest snake ever. He's playing! He's on the ground in the city. He's powerful and if someone steps on him he'll probably still be alive. He eats cookies. He has a bunch of friends. He has a girlfriend named Francine, the most beautiful snake you've ever seen. He likes to swim in the water.
-Adout, after "Sneaky Snake" by Calvert Norton

2 comments:

Andira Watson said...

Hello Sarah... I am from Central America, and I apologize for leaving this message in your blog, but I can not see an email address to let you know that the quote you have was not written by Pablo Neruda, It was written by ROQUE DALTON, a Salvadorian poet who died in the 80's. I have the traslation of his poem from Spanish to English and there is an edition you should check before posting the wrong author.

Sarah B. said...

Hi Andira,

Thank you for your concern. I am familiar with the Roque Dalton poem you mention:

http://kasamaproject.org/2008/10/03/poem-roque-daltons-like-you-como-tu/

However, that poem is not the quote I've listed on my blog. The quote I've listed begins, "On our earth, before writing was invented," and is attributed to Pablo Neruda in The Essential Neruda, edited by Mark Eisner. If you can show me a source that credits Roque Dalton for that particular quote instead, I would be happy to admit my mistake and change it, but it looks like you're referring to a different work that employs a similar metaphor.

Thanks,
Sarah