Sunday, December 16, 2007

Where I'm From


The ice cream social at Joseph's House was great fun (All hail Ben & Jerry's!), but also a little bittersweet, since it was the last meeting of the Lawrence Barnes poets. Several kids from another creative writing class read their stories, and my poetry class read the following collaborative poem:

Where I'm From

I'm from the heat in Sudan and the snow in Vermont.
I'm from Vietnam, the rice, crab, and hot gam siao I ate there.
I'm from the roots of vegetables under the ground, cooking chicken with my family.
I'm from riding my bike through Burlington, the birds, deer, and people I pass.
I'm from the summertime: watermelon, sweet corn, and berries.

I'm from swimming in the water like a fish.
I'm from the secret box I fill with acorns and feathers.
I'm from After-School and my favorite sports: basketball, football, and volleyball.
I'm from the snowy playground outside Lawrence Barnes.
I'm from Be quiet, Listen to me, Be respectful, Be safe, and Do your best.

I'm from throwing apples with my cousins in Russia.
I'm from my red and green bedroom where I run and crash into windows.
I'm from the voice of my annoying little sister acting crazy.
I'm from playing Monopoly with my grandma and grandpa.
I'm from twice-baked potatoes with cheese, so hot and soft.

I'm from the red, white, and blue of the American flag.
I'm from the moon and star on the Turkish flag.
I'm from decorating the tree and building a snowman on Christmas.
I'm from the pride I feel when celebrating Ramadan.
I'm from the suit I wear to welcome the New Year at midnight.

2 comments:

George Ella Lyon said...

Dear Sarah Shepherd,

I just read your students' beautiful "Where I'm From" poem. As the author of the poem it's modeled on, I'm always amazed and a little awed at what other teachers & poets have done with it. What a rich weaving of identities and experiences you've brought together here. I can imagine how good that feels to you and to the kids.

If you use WIF again, you might like to go to my website (georgeellalyon.com) where kids can hear me read it and where I have posted follow-up exercises.

Since you're in Vermont, I have to add that, as a graduate student, I studied with Ruth Stone & she changed my life.

Best wishes in all your work--

George Ella Lyon

Sarah Shepherd said...

Hi George Ella,

I'm so glad you stumbled upon this post and even gladder that you enjoyed my students' work. The kids and I were indeed very proud of it. Thanks for the inspiring poem, and thanks also for the link. I'm excited to show your website to future classes.

Peace & joy,
Sarah